The aftermath of tentageddon – our crazy first night camping on Skye meant we needed to reassess our Scotland itinerary.
Originally we were staying just the two nights on the Isle of Skye then jumping on a ferry over to the Outer Hebrides island of Harris. Lured by images of the pristine white sand and aquamarine waters of Luskentyre beach, and stories of scallop divers fishing to personal order.
However, life doesn’t always go according to plan. With our brand new tent now broken, and weather forecasts for Harris looking grim (including winds of 30mph) we decided we should entertain the thought of cancelling that portion of the trip and rearranging our remaining days between Skye and the highlands.
It was very hard for me to admit defeat, to accept that we were just not equipped to deal with another night of extreme weather and that my Outer Hebrides dream would have to be put on hold. Considering we had already invested a hefty sum when we pre-booked the ferry we decided that if they offered a refund, we would take it. If not we would sleep in the car on Harris. It was bittersweet for me when Will came back and said we got a full refund – in fact he was the tenth person to call for a refund that morning! Bitter, because now I wouldn’t be going to Harris but sweet because now we would spend a bit more time exploring Skye, which until now had been a bit rushed. We wouldn’t have been able to see the Fairy Glen, the Fairy pools or the Glenfinnian viaduct (more on that later) had we rushed off to Harris.
It’s easy to get a bit of FOMO when your carefully laid plans go awry, but in the end I had learnt two valuable travelling lessons. Always pay attention to the weather and be flexible with your plans – you never know what fun will eventuate.